Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Family!
wow can you belive its already christmas time? and that in less than a
week its christmas!? CRAZY!
Well me and my new companion are together... she's from moscow, doesn't
know any english, has been a member for 3 years, is the only member of
the church in her family, shes about 6'1" and prob about 200 pounds.
She's SOOOOO kind. Which is really good for me, cuz I'm not the
kindest. She's always doing little kind things for people and thinking
about others while all I care about is progresss and baptisms haha. SO
we're really good for eachother. ALso, she seriously has the weirdest
voice and accent so while I already struggle to understand russian,
understanding her russian is even harder. But again, with that big
heart of hers she does all she can so I can undertsnad her, and
others.
So seriously the russian langauge is so intersting. I struggle how to
start to get to know people cuz I always want to ask "what do you like
to do?". NOPE. You can't ask that in russian, they don't undertsand
that, Instead you gotta remember to ask "What with do you busy
yourself?" haha. And russian is intersting cuz you can't ask "who are
you going with?" or "why is she doing that?"
Instead its "With whom are you going?" and "For what she do that?".
SOOOOOOO weird.... gosh. But my russian is def improving. Everytime I
see someone I know, like a member or investogator they compliment me
on how my russian improved. Yea I pretty much rock....I have a russian
companion so i gotta learn this language somehow.
Saturday our branch had a Christams activity. OH MY GOSH IT WAS
AWESOME. It was kinda like a giant talent show but SO MUCH BETTER.
They made it like one continuous story of a knight who was looking for
his princess (the brach president was the knight). ALong his journey
he ran into russain dancers (so cool! And serious they didnt crack a
smile once), a magician (an old grandpa in our ward) a gypsy,
breakdancing penguins (hilrious. they "breakdance" here and they are
serious about it. its way diff than our break dancing and we have a
professional break dancer in our branch and a little 4 year old who is
already taking lessons. was so awesome!) and a fortune telling
babushka (a man in the district presidentcy with his daughter, was
hilar). Anyways, can you belive all the talent we've got in our little
branch! And they went over the top. There was so much food, MUSIC, and
singing of russian folk songs. But most of all I felt such a strong
spirit of love. the members here really understand what its all about.
They weren't concerned about everything being perfect and what time
everything started and if they had the best performance or if their
clothes are the cutest. ALL they cared about was the whole spirit of
the evening. I just wish all of you could have been there with me. I
LOVED it and I'm so glad I have the oppurtunity to be on a mission and
better understand the meaning of life. Remember, right now isn't a time
of presents and cute clothes and business and toys. It's a time of love
and family. Its a time to become closer to Christ and remember that
He loves us and wants us to be happy.
What I'm learning on the mission is that this church and gospel, and
our lives are so much bigger than we realize. All God asks of us is to
keep His commanments and remain worthy of His spirit and then He can
use us as His hands here on earth. I'm realizing that my small part on
earth, the little I can do is BIG in God's eyes. And that I am
necessary to God's HUGE plan, AND SO ARE YOU! So remember to do the
few things God has asked us and then we will slowly become the child
He knows we can become.
I love you ALL and wish you a wonderful and very merry Christmas :)
Love- Sister TENNEY

No comments:

Post a Comment