Monday, March 12, 2012

I think I found the best place in the world

Fmaily friends, one and all,
So did you all go look up Kaliningrad? If you haven't, do it now! And
then be jealous of me. Becasue seriously, I think I found the best
place in the world. Its' soooo cute and old with its cobble stone
streets and old chapels and fortresses and castles. The people here,
get this, they actually SMILE (sometimes ;) and they LIKE talking to
us (usually). Its BIZZARE to me that when i go to talk to people on the
street they smile and talk with us! I can't put it into words how happy
I am right now...
So I had a little "worry" I had shoved to the back of my mind and
refused to let myself think about. This worry was the fact that I
would be with an American sister for her second transfer. This means I
am with a missionary who can basically testify in Russian and that's
about it, like she hardly understands anything at all. And you see, I
know I've been out here for a while already, but my Russian is not
great. Especially my understanding. But my goal I had decided when I
found out my transfer, was to refuse to let the language become an
excuse or barrier for our work. I decided I would be confident, be
dilligent in language study, and know that God would help us. The
first day and a half sister Pinkston and I were together it was pretty
hilarious cuz I would often start talking to her in Russian not even
realizing it until I see the blank stare in her face as she tried to
figure out what I had said! Ha so funny. I was just SOOO used to
always speaking russian. Another funny thing was how TALKATIVE I have
been the last few days.I felt like a chatterbox our first two days
together BECAUSE I COULD ACTUALLY COMMUNICATE EXACTLY HOW I FELT!
hahah I felt so powerful. I didn't realize how much I had missed just
being able to talk in English. Sadly, I don't even think in Russian
anymore, that's already gone. But, out of all of this the miracle is
that everything has been fine :) What I mean is that on every lesson
and on the street and just wherever we are I have been able to
understand people! And I can actually communicate and talk with them,
all by myself :) I always had relied on my Russian companion to do all
the small talk and basically just everything, but I didn't know I can
do it too! I have understood SOOOO much in these last few days, it's
crazy. I KNOW that God is helping me. I feel like He has put mini
interpreters in my ears. All of a sudden I can understand so much!
Don't get me wrong, there is still sooo much I don't understand, but I
understand everything that I need to. I feel so empowered! And I
LOVE the Russian langague!!
And most important, I love my mission. I love everything. I just love
my area, my companion, the warm weather (40 degrees :), my little
branch, each person on the street. I love it all. I feel so lucky and
so blessed. And I'm ready to work. I've been working my companion, we
get home each night SO tired. I feel like a missionary and I love it :)
Are all of you happy? I hope so! Please, live so that you are happy!
Live the commandments, read your scriptures, and follow your dreams. I
know how cheesy that all sounds, and so simple. But it's true. God
wants you to be happy :) And so do I! So do whatever it takes to be
happy. And do it NOW :)
Remember Mosiah 2:41 "Consider the blessed and happy state of those
who keep the commanments of God"
I love you all! Pray for me! Love, Sister Tenney

No comments:

Post a Comment