Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"hopes and dreams can come true"

Family and my favorite ones,
Oh.MY.Gosh. (I think I may start every email this way, but really, I have nothing else to say but "wow!". Have I told you that missionary work is crazy and awesome and all over the place and that I'm SO happy?? Let me just list some of the many reasons why:

  • Yesterday while walking to church I smiled and greeted a babushka as we passed her and then all of a sudden she comes running up to us and says "devushkee (girls), I have a grandson who is 27, very attractive, and he just bought a new apartment on the 17th floor with an amazing veiw, which one of you will marry him?" Sister M is trying to understand/ figure out if she understood, while I start to laugh. The woman, however, did not start to laugh. She was serious. She even pulled out a picture of his apartment and started stroking my hair (the Russian people are surprisingly touchy, I have had my hair, hand, or back stroked MANY times on the street by complete strangers). She couldnt seem to grasp that we were missionaries, no matter how much I tried to explain, so finally we just had to say "good day" 
  • Remember Lena??? My favorite little Russian girl in the world. Well, her little brother Daniel now has a baptismal date! WOOT WOOT!!!! Such exciting news. I'm overjoyed.
  • Between meeting with Lena and Daniel, and all the members and their friends they brought to the Mexican fiesta, and the members and less actives I wanted to say good bye to, Sis M and I didnt have to prepare one meal for ourselves this week (very unusual for missionaries out here). It was a mix of Russian deliciousness and absolute disgusting-ness. Borsh (YUM!), russian salads, and grosse fish dishes (I dont know how I got it down and made them think that I actually liked it!?!?!). Don't worry, we still enjoyed our apples and even enjoyed the start of grape season..... lets just say we made the most divine grape juice from the grapes we picked at a members home... who knew I would never get to do that!?
  • While being with all these people I love was amzing,it was SO SAD having to say goodbye. These people are my family! After 7 months you tend to get a little attached. So, for my transfer news.... you ready for this? drum roll please.............PETROZABODSK!!!!! I know that just sounds like the name of some random city in Russia, but let me try to explain to you how REVOLUTIONARY this is. The transfer before I came out here to Russia, one, randonly ONE city in the entire mission was opened for sisters to serve in (of course it was my dear k-grad :) The sisters had been "banned" almost to only the city of St. Petersburg, that in itself was revolutionary, but now with the creation of a stake, more cities are opening, and I am blessed with the honor of opening an outer city for sisters. WOOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! I am so exciting I cant even breath. Another important thing about this story, is that I have been wanting to go to Petro for as long as I can remember. I dont know what it was, but my heart longed for Petro, even before there was word of it opening to Sisters. Once the rumor started that sisters would be there within a few transfers I immediatly told President Clark that I wanted to go there. So, for the last 4 months, everytime I have seen President, I have made sure he knew exactly what I wanted :) haha. And guess what??? I GOT IT! I know I haver already talked about this soooo much, but knowing what you want in life is sooooo important. If you know what you want, then you WILL get it (if you're willing to work of course). It reminds me of something Elder Holland told my mission President one time (they are good friends). He said, "now Warren (thats my pres' name), you need to have hopes and dreams, God cannot bless you if you dont know what you want". So keep that in mind..
  • Another amazing thing about Petro where I will be, in order to get there I have to take a night train! As in a train ride over night. Yea I know. Awesome.
These are just a few of the many blessing of a mission. I feel so blessed. Overwhelmed with blessings. Who knew life could be so amazing. I love this work. I know its true. I feel so trusted and lucky to represent our Savior at this time.
I love you all! Lets all go have a great life.... -Sister Tenney

ps- sorry to everyone for not emailing back this week, I wrote my email and the whole thing got erased so I dont have much time today. britt, bryce, siblings and fam i promise to write better next week. Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment