Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm happy and i love it here

Family!
Wow so much to tell you. So much is going on here and so much to think
about. I'm having a great time. St. Petersburg really is beautiful and
exciting. I feel like a little kid walking around staring at everything
and trying to take it all in. I'm the annoying person in the subway
who stares at everyone haha... I just cant stop looking at everything.
The architecture is beautiful and whether it's raining (like usual) or
sunny (the sun is such a treat!) everything is so pretty and cool/
Theres lots of sick grafitti here too ha.


So last friday I went to the Hermitage for my very 1st time!!! The
Hermitage, for those who dont know, is the world's BIGGEST art museum.
Sweeet right? I have yet to actually go and view some of it, we just
did service but it was way exciting. We just stand at an entrance and
make sure people leave their coats in the cloakroom. Sounds easy but
can be a little challenging for a person who doesn't really know
Russian (like me ha) but it was an adventure. Luckily ALOT of ppl here
know english, or a little english so if I need to I can communicate a
little bit with people. Everyone in the branch loves talking to me in
english ...... doen't help my russian but it is helping me to gain
trust with the members!


So our brach.... we are lucky to have such a strong branch. We have a
lot of strong members who can be a great resource for us. Just recently
did missionaries start working with the members here. I don't really
understand why they didn't before, but basically this mission is on the
brink of blasting off with missionary work. We're slowly using the
members more and more and starting to get referrals from them. I think
its normal but my companion keeps trying to get me to understand how
awesome all the growth is. Pres. Clark is making awesome changes and
I'm excitited to see how this mission changes in the next year.


So we walk into our church on Sunday and they needed a pianist. HA.
Sister Parker knew that I took lessons so she offered me to play. The
sad thing is, I really was the best painist there that day. Only 2
women in the branch can plan and neither were there. So yupp, I
played the piano in sacrament on sunday. You all should be laughing out
loud right now. It was horrible. Hahahahaha. Most of it was only right
handed. And it was pretty bad. But everyone was so appreciative. I've
been able to pracite a few times since then if that ever happens
again. For those of you planning on serving a mission do yourself and
your future area a favor and practice piano!


The most awkwad thing I've decided is introductions. Here in russia
there is a formal way and an informal way to greet people. So first
off I dont know which one to use (old ladies usually get offended if
you use the informal but then some old lady members want to be
considered friends so they want the informal..... totes confusing),
and then I have no idea if I should hug or kiss them (a lot of russians
are huggy and kissy) and then they say something to me I have n idea
what they are saying. HAHa so its a mess. Often ppl tell me their
name and I don't even know because it sounds like a mush of noises. And
then I dont even know if they're asking me my name. The other day we
went to a ladies house for a lesson and we walk in and she was talking
and I had no idea what she was saying so when she paused I assumed
she asked me my name so I introduced my self. She looked at me
awkwardly and kept talking. Turned out she was asking me if I was cold
hahahaha. Gt's.


Good news of the week. 1) My companion woke up in the midddle of the
night to me sleeptalking.... IN RUSSIAN! Sick right? I know. Maybe I'm
already fluent in russian already I just don't know it. 2) Russain is
slowly turning from a mesh of noises to words..... slowely. And even
thought its not sounding like mush I still have no idea what they are
saying... but its progress! Woot woot!


Everyhing is great I love it here. The hardst thing is knowing what we
should be doing. Our goal is to be the most effective. Sometimes we
aren't sure if we should be contacting people in the street, finding
inactive members, meeting and making relationships with members.... so
many options but what is best? We're slowly fiuring it out. God is
helping us!


I'm happy and I love it here. Thanks for your support and love.
Love, Sister Tenney

No comments:

Post a Comment